Every week I highlight the most interesting items from my media diet.
- What Neuroscience Says About Modern Architecture Approach Quite possibly the most stupid article I have read for some time. Modernism swept across the world partly because it articulated an architectural language that followed the industrialisation of the building industry (it was in some ways inevitable). Overlooking this for two Architects Brains malfunctioned as an explanation is beyond dumb.
- Designing and building a Cabin in Finland (via). The Instagram feed has great photos of the Cabin being lived in. Project-o embodies the kesämokki life the Finnish dream of a simpler living either on an island in the Baltic or beside a lake in the forest.
- The next generation of power plants will be virtual. Talks principally about solar power in the US but this development is the future for all power grids.
- The Chudobín Scots Pine is European Tree of The Year 2020 Watch the video of why it won. The other finalists all have their own videos, some beautiful trees to enjoy.
- Fungus Amungus A fascinating podcast that explains why mammals might have triumphed in the race to become the dominant animal type after the dinosaurs disappeared and why our edge might be slipping now.
The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as escaping from the old ones– John Maynard Keynes (via)
- Declad posts this last week A review and notes on the iconic Book Experiencing Architecture by Steen Eiler Rasmussen.